woensdag 22 augustus 2007

A history of the Amiga

As a kid a had a Commodore 64 (I still have one). I spend many long nights behind the flickering tv-screen hacking the machine in any way possible.

Then one day, my then best friend got a brand new Amiga 500 for his birthday. It was the ultimate computer of the time. It supported real multitasking when most other computer could not even run more than one application at a time. It had custom chips for audio and video acceleration, a heafty 32 bit 68000 CPU, and 1MB RAM. Oh, how I wanted one!



But, it was not to be. I eventually bought an IBM compatible when I had the money, and the Amiga slowly faded from memory.

Now the guys at Ars Technica are writing an excellent article about the history of the Amiga. This brings back a lot of memories..., and makes very good reading!

Part 1: Genesis
Part 2: The birth of Amiga
Part 3: The first prototype

Geen opmerkingen: